PROS AND CONS OF OWNING A SIBERIAN HUSKY
Siberian Husky: The positive and the negative
So many people ask me questions about my dogs and if they are well behaved or if they are good watchdogs and the questions just go on and on. All these questions are more related to their breed and not just the fact that I have 2 dogs so I thought I would write about the pros and cons of having a Siberian husky.
Siberian Huskies are a majestic breed with their gorgeous eyes and beautiful coat. They are known as sled dogs or working dogs. Also they are fast and can walk and run for long periods of time.
Siberian Huskies are very sociable with people and with other dogs too. Huskies also love to be around children but should not be left unsupervised with children or other smaller animals.
My 2 huskies actually do really well in our apartment. However when they were just pups they tore the place down! They ate their way through anything and everything you could imagine. I do not recommend huskies in apartment living unless you actually take the time to train them and give them the proper time for running and getting enough exercise.
The Pros of a Siberian husky
- They are a family orientated dog or also known to be a pack dog (are good with other dogs too)
- They do not bark but they do howl (in general they are a quiet breed)
- Gorgeous looks and especially stricking eye colours
- Are very friendly (even with strangers) good natured
- Playful no matter their age
- Love attention and are easy going
- Full of energy and love running, in general are a very active breed
- Love the great outdoors but mostly love the cooler temperatures
- Very smart dogs and can learn many tricks
- Can be very indepentant
- A very clean breed
- An odorless breed too (don’t smell of dog like other breeds)
- They are generally a healthy breed
The Cons of a Siberian Husky
- They shed heavily at least twice a year, if you live in warmer climates they may shed even up to 4-5 times a year. Have in mind the shedding process lasts around 2-4 weeks.
- Can be very stubborn at times and even though they know what you are asking of them they may play dumb.
- Howling can be an issue when left alone at home
- Not a good guard dog and can be hard to train
- Can be hard to train due to their stubbornness
- If they are left alone for too long they tend to be destructive both inside the house and outside in the back garden.
- Love to dig up holes in the garden
- They usually need to be kept in a crate if you leave them alone for long period of time
- They are escape artists (they are very clever and can escape very easily from fences and gardens)
- Strong willed and a very strong instinct to chase
- Should not be let off leash as they have the tendency of running off and most probably chase other animals
- The main health issues that Huskies are prone to are hip dysplasia and any Eye diseases.
Huskies in General
Most huskies will let you believe that you have control but in reality it is they who have the control. In cases where your husky is a male then he will fight you for the Alpha position (to dominate you for power).
As mentioned above, they are smart and can be trained but only if they feel like it. They can sometimes be too smart for their own good, if you get what I mean.
Anyhow, Huskies are not the breed for everyone!
Living with my 2 crazy but adorable Siberian Huskies
I have a hard time with 2 in an apartment and the lifestyle we have in a tiny apartment. They need a lot of exercise which is my hardest thing to give to them but also when they shed, thats another huge problem.
So when they shed it’s a nightmare for me because when one finishes shedding then the other one starts. So it’s an ongoing shedding process for me. Combine that with our lovely Mediterranean weather and you have a more frequent cycle for shedding and well it’s enough to drive me crazy!
So for all of you out there thinking about getting a husky I hope this article helps. With all the above points I hope I have addressed the main pros and cons of owning a Husky so as to help you put some things into perspective.
For those wondering how I do it or if they are well behaved or not…let’s just say my husband and I have trained them well!
If you have any questions that I have not addressed here then let me know in the comments below and I will be glad to answer them!
FOLLOW ME ON