Decorating our counter tops can feel a little daunting if we don’t know how or what to do. It can be simple, easy and stress free if you just keep things simple. We often feel like our counters only need to be functional and not pretty, however I will show you ways that you can keep it functional and pretty at the same time.
The first thing we need to do is take a look around the counters, take it all in. See what you have out, what is working and what is not working for you. Then see what you can get rid of. Now this may mean it goes into storage because you don’t use it often or donate if you don’t use it at all. It is entirely up to you, but we do need to clear the counters off. Then take all your decor and anything else remaining on your counter and put them all together on the kitchen table or somewhere where you can see then grouped together. Now you need to group the items which are essential and you need on the counter since you use them daily. These would be items like dish soap dispensers, sponges, dish rack, cooking oils or anything else you may use daily.
Now comes the fun part, time to start organising and decorating.
We will start with the essentials that we have grouped together and put them where they need to go. Once we place them there, then we need to style them. So, by adding a beautiful tray and then add the olive oils, salt and pepper this will help corale everything in one place so it looks tidy. Next you should create stations to make it easier to keep organised, tidy and decorative. Ideas for stations are, Cooking Station, Coffee Station, or a Fruit Station, whatever serves your family’s needs. Once you establish your stations then you need to add an element of decor, this could be a small candle, a vase with flowers or a cook book anything decorative. If you are unsure leave, it for later. Add all your essential items on the counter where they go in their designated stations, then we can add the decor next.
Here are some tips to add decorative elements to your kitchen counters:
- Use pretty trays, chopping boards and even baskets to corral small items together for a neater and tidier look, then add a decor element to make it look nice and appealing.
- Use cook books to display or stack in a corner
- Fresh flowers in a vase or dried flowers look nice too.
- Decorate for the season. Add a few decorative items for Easter is its Easter or Spring time. Bring that festive season into your kitchen.
- Invest in functional items that look nice too. For example, the dish rack can be pretty and functional at the same time or your utensil holder can be part of the decor vibe or your kitchen towels or even your dish soap dispenser.
- Pretty and decorative jars for your coffee, sugar, tea and anything you have out on your counter.
- Your fruit can also be part of the decor. Use a vase or a fruit bowl to add the fruit on your counters.
- Use small framed artwork leaned against the backsplash behind the stations you have created.
These are the main tips you need in order to make your kitchen counters beautiful but functional too. Always have in mind that less is more, especially when it comes to maintaining your space. Talking from experiance, once I cleared off my counters I actually have space to do my meal prep and it was also very easy to keep clean on a daily basis. My kitchen is tiny and doesnt have a lot of counter space so every little bit helps. I used these steps exactly to recreate my space and even though it gets messy a lot, it is a matter of a few minutes to get it back in order. The only thing I haven’t yet done is invest in the functional pieces as decor. This will be for the future as our priorities are elswhere now.
I hope these steps, tips and ideas help you decorate your counters with ease. If you would like more ideas or have any questions please comment below or email me at email@example.com.